Many families choose for their child to be cared for in a home-like setting. Family child care providers fulfill this need by offering care for children in their homes.
- Licensed Family Child Care providers* may care for up to eight children including their own, or up to 12 children with an assistant.
- Licensed Family Child Care Group Home providers* may care for up to 16 children (including their own) with the help of a full-time assistant.
- License-Exempt Family Child Care providers (such as Family, Friend, and Neighbor care) may care for three or fewer children (including their own), or children from one family.
Possible Advantages of Family Child Care
- Warm, home-like environment
- Fewer children in setting means a more manageable environment for your child
- Consistent care from one adult
- Typically offers flexible hours
- Siblings may be cared for together
*Licensed family child care providers, licensed family child care group home providers, and licensed centers must meet Illinois Department of Children and Family Services standards for health and safety including, child to staff ratios and required space per child. Call your local CCR&R for more information.